Sales for February 2015 were a little above last year at 26 (SF-15, Con-9, Dup-1 & Lot-1) compared to February 2014 at 24 ( SF-14, Con-7, Dup-2 & Lot-1) . Sales for the last 12 months were 376 (SF-213, Con-107, Dup-33 & Lot-23) down 12% over the previous 12 months at 427 (SF-253, Con-117, Dup-32 & Lot-25). Of the sales for the last 12 months distressed properties were only 6% of the sales at 24 ( SF-11, Con-5, Dup-8 & Lot-0) compared to the previous 12 months where 6% or 25 ( SF-6, Con-10, Dup- 8 & Lot-1) were distressed. Currently there are only 2 distressed properties or 1% of the inventory of 279 (SF-151, Con-78, Dup-18 & Lot-32). They are comprised of one single family property, which is bank owned and one condo which is bank owned. Pended properties (properties under contract) continue to be strong at 53 (SF-35, Con-12, Dup-3 & Lot-3) up from 42 last month and well above the average. Inventory on the island continues to remain below 300 at 279 (SF-151, Con-78, Dup-18 & Lot-32) from 296 last month and below 300 for the last nine months.
Of Frank, Scott & Al’s Great Buy’s that went under contract last month, the elegantly stunning home at 114 Beach listed at $2,499,900 closed March 9th for $2,200,000. The single family beach cottage at 121 49th St listed at $899,900 fell through because an investor couldn’t get financing based on his credit so it is back on the market. This single family on a conforming duplex lot, seven houses to the beach, is a great property in a great location. Also since last month another one of our great buy’s 120 50th St listed at $1,290,000 went under contract and is scheduled to close on May1, 2015. The property at 3603 4 th Ave continues to be a strong investment buy. This 3 bedroom/3 bath townhouse with elevator, pool and a roof top deck with awesome views of the gulf and inter-coastal and an excellent rental and a 10 ratio (purchase price/gross annual rental income). This property is ideal for someone who wants a property in a great location (three houses to the beach) and in move-in condition. Check out the rest of the Great Buy’s in the Newsletter on my website www.AlanGalletto.com.
To summarize the island market, although we only have sales for two months of 2015, it looks like the strong sales activity we have had over the last couple years will continue and we are so far on track to end up the year with sales in the high 300’s or low 400’s. The fact that we had a low inventory (below 300) for most of 2014 is the reason we ended up with sales for 2014 at 381 instead of the 408 and 431 of the previous two years and that low inventory continues into the first two months of 2015. As I said last month, I think sales in the high 300’s is very healthy and keeps the market from getting too overheated but is still well above the sales for the average year in this market of 250. The amount of people who are looking at property continues to be strong. That’s the prime reason that the inventory has been at the low levels they have been over the past year.
If you look at February 28, 2014 Y-T-D sales at 56 compared to February 28, 2015 Y-T-D sales of 61 we got another great start for the year. If you look at February 28 Y-T-D sales over the last eleven years (2005- 2015), sales for those two months have only been higher in 2014 at 61. Single family sales continue to be well above the peak year of 2005. Single family and condo sales historically make up 80% of the total sales on the island and duplex’s and lots make up the other 20%. Over the last 12 months single family and condo sales accounted for 85% of the total sales and single families were 57% of the total and condos 28% of the total. As far as sales prices go in the last 12 months, 23% of the total single family sales were under $500K, 63% were under $750K, 22% were between $750K and $1 million and 15% were over 1 Million. Of condo sales on the island in the last 12 months, 79% were under 500K, 95% were under 750K, 2% were between $750K and $1 million, and 3% were over $1 Million dollars. This shows single family sales continue to be the strongest part of the market on the island.
For detailed charts see the entire newsletter on our website; www.Alangalletto.com